Monday, May 18, 2009

ché's room






a while ago I decided to ditch the newborn neutral colour palette and design a new play space for Ché. He still spends the majority of the night snuggled between us so it's not necessarily his 'sleep' space. it will be one day though.

i gave the vintage bookshelf a new coat of red and carefully arranged his beloved toys and books on it. it stays in order for about 10minutes of the day but before bed each night we put everything back in its place. it makes me so happy to see him sitting on the carpet flicking through books, muttering to himself. so happy that our deep love of words has without doubt been passed on to him.

I wanted a colourful space without it becoming too lurid and so I tried my best to use natural shades, earthy shades. I sourced the gorgeous elephant fabrics from goodness and the bunting from ella at little red caboose. The prints are from ashley g and sandra juto - yes, every boy definitely deserves to be superhero sometimes.

It's taken months to come together and me oh my what fun it was. To go a little crazy with colour and quirk. It's fun and dreamy and i love that at times all three of us are in there reading, relaxing and playing together.

When I look at his room I feel quite proud of my decision to be conscious of the toys that come into our home. I made it clear to family from the start that we didn't want flashing, buzzing, battery-operated, plastic toys for Ché. Instead his play world is full of handmade, mama-made, wooden and musical toys - toys created with love and passion for a child that doesn't need a lot. He's so happy with what he's got and so am I. So lucky we are.

So thank you to those mamas and artists who helped contribute to this little space in our house. Thanks also to Jimin and Emma for dressing Ché so well!

21 comments:

  1. Hello Jodi,
    You have Che's room looking so beautiful, and I can see that your creative juices and love were certainly flowing while you enjoyed doing this.
    So lovely for the children to have their very own space, and I look forward to tomorrow when Che wakes, and leads me by the hand, into this magical area, to sit and read him a story, after he chooses the book !
    Lots of love, Mum and Mama xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful space for your boy! It looks peaceful, exciting, creative and fun all at the same time. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a really lovely space Jodi - well done! and lucky Che.

    I have Ella's bunting in my living room I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful space! He's a very lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh jod's his room looks lovely and i recognise a few of those toys. Very sweet..xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there,
    just found you blog and enjoyed it so much. So many common threads from my mind and world. My boy is just gone three and it is great to see another boy having such a beautiful journey.
    I'll keep checking in to see how your world goes - how old is Che?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh thanks jodi, it really is a pleasure making clothes for such little sweeties as che! His room is beautiful, very peaceful, and I reckon it won't be long before he wants to sleep in there too! I've been doing a little rearranging in jasper's room too, it's funny how they seem to discover stuff when you move it into a new spot. Still keen to catch up by the way, just been doing a few projects this week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous little space you created for Che! Thanks for sharing. There are some lovely ideas in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful space to dream! Love it. Loving that phone - that's ace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really lovely space! A lovely place to rest one's head at night (even if only for a couple hours).

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the room. looks beautiful and inviting.
    thank you for mentioning smallville :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so peaceful and restful. i am che will enjoy his own space in his own time, but for now, it is wonderful that you all enjoy it together. i wish i had a room that looked like that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely room and you have inspired me to get the paint out and put a splash of colour onto an old table in Ellie's room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jodi, Che's room is so good. i enjoy arranging Little A's room so much, wanting to make it natural, special and inspiring. in a way it has been easier making decisions for his space than my own. i'm utterly flattered to see so many of my little handmades in Che's room. thank you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely room for a beautiful little boy. His red shelves are great and will still suit when he is a teenager. I love all his pillows and cushions too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The bed and green outside his window make me long for something nameless.
    Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous space, though I fear he will not be moving out of the snuggle bed anytime soon! I want to get Caleb one of those superhero posters too, just perfect for the boys I think

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous and simple! This is what I aim for :) My 2 littles girl share a bedroom, but both sleep in our room too, I'm always striving for an uncluttered room (I don't do too badly...) Love your babushka doll, we have one from Ella too, wonder how many have made Australia their home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfectly pieced together Jodi! I don't think anyone would be able to resist popping on the floor for a sit and a good read in that peaceful space.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Che's room is gorgeous - nice styling!

    ReplyDelete